Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Farm Week




I found so many great ideas on the web for a farm themed week.

The big kids had a pig report (did you know that pigs are ranked very highly on the list of intelligence? 4th behind humans, primates, and dolphins/whales- how could I have forgotten that from elementary school? I know- useless fact junky...)

Hand shaped sheep with cottony soft bodies were a big hit- the children always love tracing their own bodies to create new things.

Build-your-own barn with animals. I downloaded the templates and don't have the reference to give credit to the creator (can you tell I am married to a high school teacher who gives yearly lectures on plagiarism and citing papers?). I am still in the process of making my own and laminating it for an interactive Old MacDonald song activity.

Books we read:
Old MacDonald had a Farm by Jane Cabrera
Farmer Brown Goes Round and Round by Teri Sloat
There's a Billy Goat in the Garden by Laurel Dee Gugler