Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Quick Oat Muffins


I purchased the assorted box of organic instant oatmeal from Costco a few months ago. Both of my kids love warm, slow cooked oatmeal in the winter but it seemed out of place when summer came. They love picking a packet and eating it cold with milk. Neither would tolerate the green apple cinnamon flavor and I felt compelled to find something to do with those sad, unchosen packets.

So I adapted the "seminary muffin" recipe from allrecipies.com. It turned out great. Thumbs up from everyone. I hope you enjoy it too.

Apple Cinnamon Quick Oat Muffins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin pans with papers or with cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine and mix :
1 large or 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 egg
1/3-1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
1/2 C brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Add the dry ingredients then stir until incorporated:
1 C whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 C quick oats (or about three little packets)

I used a (24) mini muffin pan with spray. It took a short 14 minutes for these to brown lightly on the top.