Friday, May 6, 2011

Avocado Quesadillas


Today I received my third (free gift!) box of mixed fruits and veggies from Farm Fresh to You. When they say farm fresh, it is the real thing! I have been so happy with the produce. Today, the strawberries were the most spectacular red, juicy and sweet.

I am also always pleased with the recipes on the newsletter. I was just thinking that I needed a few more ways to make my children's favorite lunch time staple a little more exciting (and a little more nutritious).

The produce in today's box helped make these delicious quesadillas:

2 Tbs chopped red onion
1/2 tsp hot sauce (optional)
6 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
2 & 2/3 C grated monterey jack cheese
2 firm avocados
4 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 C sour cream
8 tortillas
1/4 tsp olive oil

Quarter avocado, remove pit and peel. Cut into 1/4-inch dice.

In a small bowl stir together: sour cream, cilantro, salt & pepper to taste.

In a little oiled skillet, warm tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold over and heat through until melted.

Top with avocado and sour cream.