Thursday, March 21, 2013

Chocolate Zucchini Apple Sauce Muffins


I modified this (Chocolate Zucchini Muffins) recipe from allrecipies.com this week and it was a favorite. I don't usually like adding applesauce to recipes; I think it makes it taste sort of fake and weird. But the flavor wasn't over powering- it was approved by even my picky taste buds.

Here is what we did...

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have your little helpers fill 24 standard sized muffin tins with papers.

In a large bowl combine, then stir with a fork:

3 cups of flour (I used half hand ground white wheat and half standard white)
1/3 cup cocoa powder - I used a heaping measuring cup full
1.5 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

(I skipped all of the cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves from the original recipe- I just don't like that competing with the chocolate flavor)

Add wet ingredients on top:

3 eggs
1-2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened organic
2 tsps honey (give or take, it was a large squeeze)
2 cups grated zucchini (pressed down but not packed firmly)
1-1.5 cups semi sweet chocolate chips


Mix well and scoop about 1/4 cup into each muffin compartment. Bake for about 20 minutes until set and centers some out clean. Over baking makes them dry. We froze half for later in the month.